Saturday, May 7, 2011

So why a book blog?

After a great deal of deliberation and thought, I finally decided to start a blog specifically about books. I've got one about teaching and life in general, one about food, and finally figured with all of the reading I do, I should do one about books. But this one is going to be about more than books; rather than just write reviews, I'm going to include my views on bookstores, author signings...in short, anything that comes to mind about books in general.

So where to start? Well, that's easy, actually, especially since I attended an author event at The Tattered Cover in Denver. Once again, I find my opinions about supporting local, independent bookstores reinforced. Last night, I had the definite pleasure of meeting Christopher Farnsworth, author of The President's Vampire series. He was engaging, interesting and entertaining, and the hour flew by as he read from his newest book and discussed his inspiration for the series, who he thought would fit various roles in the upcoming Blood Oath movie, and shared his favorite conspiracy theory with the audience. I've often enjoyed hearing authors speak, and Farnsworth was no exception. I'm currently reading last year's Blood Oath, and am looking forward to sinking my teeth into his second and newest book, The President's Vampire (pun fully intended). While I'm still reading Blood Oath and I'm not ready to post my commentary/review of it, I can say that it's really nice to read a contemporary vampire novel in which the protagonist neither sparkles nor mopes. While researching for his novel, Farnsworth read about psychopaths/sociopaths, and it shows in the predatory nature of Nathaniel Cade, the President's vampire. More about that later.

The ability to meet and talk with authors is something that I have yet to see the national chains offer, at least on a regular basis; quite frankly, I'm fine with that. I like going to the independent stores; in fact, I prefer local stores to chains. Local bookstores are like being at home; the chains are like staying in a hotel.

After getting my copy of The President's Vampire signed, I headed upstairs to peruse the shelves to see what else was in the store. I wandered around the various sections, eventually finding the bargain books and used book section. It was there I found my latest happy little treasures to add to my collection. My eyes first hit on The Tales of Beedle the Bard. I have a copy of this book at home, so was intrigued by the different cover I was looking at. I picked it up and looked at the back then smiled. I was holding in my hands the U.K. version of the same book, as evidenced by the original price listed in Sterling Pounds instead of dollars. I definitely wanted this for my collection. Further browsing in the used/bargain section revealed a first edition, U.K. version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which also made its way home and onto my bookshelf for a very inexpensive price. Chances of finding either of these in a chain bookstore? Not so much. Chances of me being  super excited about finding these little treasures? 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment